A number of constituents have approached me asking for information about how they can support Afghan refugees in Wrexham. Wrexham Council have kindly provided the following information:
Offers of housing:
Offers of housing should be directed to the WCBC's Local Lettings agency using the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The article about their appeal for housing for the Afghan scheme can be found here: https://news.wrexham.gov.uk/can-you-help-with-housing-for-afghan-families/
Other offers of help or donations:
WCBC are currently working with the third sector to increase capacity and establish a process with local premises for receiving donations, to be distributed to the refugees. As soon as this is finalised they will provide contact details and arrangements.
In the meantime, offers of donations or general support can be directed to the following charities who work closely with our appointed support provider British Red Cross to support refugees in Wrexham:
- UAREUK is a Wrexham based charity supporting refugees and asylum seekers locally and internationally, and work closely with the Red Cross and other support organisations to provide support for refugees and asylum seekers in Wrexham. They ask for specific items only, and request specific items on their Facebook group when needed. People can join UAREUK’s Facebook page and be informed of needs for specific clothing, shoes etc. as the need arises. Their Facebook page also lists the other ways that people can donate and offer refugee support.
- SHARE based in Mold and Chester support refugees and asylum seekers locally and internationally. They also cover the Wrexham area and work closely with the Red Cross and other organisations to support refugees and asylum seeker families in Wrexham. They are not accepting general donations of clothing at the moment due to capacity but their Facebook pages and website also lists other ways in which people can donate and offer support.
- Refugee Kindness are a new Wrexham based charity offering support to refugees and asylum seekers. They do not receive and store donations generally, but ask people to take photographs and hold on to the items, which they then offer to refugees and asylum seekers on their Facebook group. Their contact details are:
- Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/RefugeeKindness
- Website: https://refugee-kindness-north-wales.business.site/
Please do not hesitate to make contact with me on email@example.com for further assistance or if you have any further questions.
Stay updated with my work in Wrexham and Westminster and sign up to my monthly newsletter: