As a veteran, and a member of the veteran community in Wrexham, I know that more can be done to help those that have served our country. I am pleased that this Government wants to make the United Kingdom the best place in the world to be a veteran and is already doing much to make improvements.
What I have done to support our Armed Forces and Veterans:
Facilitating a Veterans Lead for the Wrexham Maelor Hospital
Click the link above to see the hard work that was involved in facilitating this role and more about the Veterans Lead.
Introducing a Veterans Railcard:
- Welcomed the UK Government's plans to introduce a Veterans Railcard, and urged the Welsh Government to extend this brilliant scheme to Wales.
- Called on the Welsh Government to extend the scheme to Wales.
Supported HMP Berwyn's Veterans wing:
- Visited the Veteran wing at HMP Berwyn to learn more about the problems veterans face when in custody.
Sub-Committee Inquiry 'Women in the Armed Forces: From Recruitment to Civilian Life':
- First evidence session for the report, of which I was the Chair.
- Third oral evidence session.
- The launch of the report: Women in the Armed Forces: From Recruitment to Civilian Life
- Report by the British Medical Journal on emotional bullying, sexual harassment, and physical assault of women in the military.
- Progress from the MOD in response to the 'Atherton' report
- A year on since the 'Atherton' report
Facilitating the launch of Salute Her:
- Following on from the launch of the report into the female military experience last week, I visited Forward Assist and Salute Her UK, of which I am a Patron, to see first-hand the excellent work they do supporting women who have served in our Armed Forces.
- Hosting veterans and the launch of Salute Her in Parliament.